The face of marketing has changed. For those of you who so lovingly embraced and continue to embrace the more traditional forms of marketing such as television, print and radio, you may not even know what the new landscape of marketing looks like nor the unlimited ways it can dramatically boost your business growth.
And let's be honest, how many of your traditional marketing strategies generate the same return on investment that they did fifteen or even ten years ago? Are they really ?producing the results you want/need?
How about a way to reach niche buyers directly with targeted information that costs a fraction of what big-budget traditional advertising costs? Say hello to the Internet and Internet advertising, marketing and public relations.
- marketing simply meant advertising (branding)
- advertising needed to appeal to the masses
- advertising relied on interrupting people to get them to pay attention to a message
- advertising was one-way: company to consumer
- advertising was exlusively about selling products
- advertising was based on campaigns that had a limited life
- creativity was deemed the most important component of advertising
- it was more important for the ad agency to win advertising awards than for the client to win new customers
- advertising & PR were separate disciplines ran by different people with separate goals, strategies and measurement criteria
- marketing is more than just advertising
- PR is far more than just a mainstream media audience
- you are what you publish
- people want authenticity, not spin
- people want participation, not propoganda
- instead of causing one-way interruption, marketing is about delivering content at just the precise moment your audience needs it
- marketers must shift their thinking from mainstream marketing to the masses to a strategy of reaching vast numbers of underserved audiences via the web
- PR is not about your boss seeing your company on TV - it's about your buyers seeing your company on the web
- marketing is not about your agency winning awards - it's about your organization winning business
- the Internet has amde public relations public again after years of almost exclusive focus on media
- companies must drive people into the purchasing process with great online content
- blogs, online video, e-books, news releases and other forms of online content let organizations communicate directly wtih buyers in a form they appreciate
- social networks allow people all over the world to share content and connect with the people and companies they do business with
- on the web, the lines between marketing and PR are blurred
About TeamBishop: TeamBishop (Dawn Bishop & Leslie Whittaker) are Internet Marketing Consultants with ReachLocal Orlando. Our mission is to help you grow your business by increasing your leads and revenues and decrease unproductive advertising expenses through proven online marketing strategies. Give us a call at 321.422.6600 x122 to schedule your free consultation.
partial content from David Meerman Scott's "The New Rules of Marketing & PR"
images courtesy of inhabitat.com and tumblr.hernanstocke.com