You've definitely heard of them but have you joined in on the status updates, tweeting and engagement frenzy? If you've used Facebook, it has probably been to write witty status updates, poke family and friends, stalk the every movement of your friends and colleagues, gather the latest gossip or engage with your favorite businesses. But what do you really know about the world's number 1 social networking site, aside from the fact that they made a movie about it?
And you can't mention Facebook without mentioning Twitter where you can tweet about the great burger or not so great burger you just scarfed down from Five Guys to everyone you know virtually across the globe.
Both of these social media giants are gaining traction with consumers and local businesses but how much do you really know about either of these, except that you have to be on them?
Interested in knowing more?
Here are some more staggering facts about Twitter and Facebook
(courtesy of ReachLocal's ReachCast blog).
2) The average Facebook user has 130 friends.
3) Three out of four U.S. Internet users visit Facebook every month.
4) Facebook accounts for one quarter of all U. S. page views In fact, it receives 3% more web visits and almost five times more page views than Google.
5) The average user spends 25 minutes per day on Facebook.
6) Facebook now has 154 million U.S. users. That’s a whopping 38% more than it had in 2009!
7) Facebook is the number 1 publisher of display ads.
8) 30 billion pieces of content like photos, videos, web links, news stories, and blog posts are shared on Facebook each month. If every piece of content was printed out on a sheet of paper and placed side by side, it would reach the moon 16 times.
9) 200 million users use mobile devices to access Facebook. And, people who use Facebook via mobile are twice as active as non-mobile users.
10) U.S. Facebook advertising spend is expected to reach $2 billion in 2011.
11) 48% of local businesses use Facebook to reach local consumers.
12) In the last year, local businesses have <a href="http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/news/releases/2010/021610.aspx">doubled
their use of social media for marketing.
13) Users generate about 140 million Tweets per day, or 1,600 every second. A year ago, the daily average was just 50 million.
14) Hold the Smartphone: 40% of all Tweets are made from mobile devices.
While you may be thinking, "great, what am I supposed to do with all these facts," there are plenty of ways that you can utilize these facts to fine-tune your social media strategies.
Here's a couple ways that you can use these statistics to help your social media strategy.
- If the average Facebook user has 130 friends, for every 1 person you get to "like" your Facebook page you have the potential of reaching, on average, 130 other people that they know and who would be likely to use your products or service if they posted something favorable about you or suggested you to their friends.
- Facebook is the number one publisher of display ads. Want to increase your brand awareness, start advertising with display ads on Facebook. You can drive traffic to your website or grow your Facebook fan base.
- 48% of local businesses are using Facebook to reach local consumers - are you losing business to your competitors because you're not keeping up with the Facebook Jones'?
In addition to these 3 points, there are far more ways that you can utilize these 15 Facebook and Twitter statistics to streamline your social media strategy or just see the reason to finally have one.
What are some ways that you have found success in social media marketing? Were you shocked by any of these statistics?